Get the lay of the land first.
It’s a good idea to visit the dog park without your dog if you’ve never been there before. Familiarize yourself with the layout, rules, setup, cleanliness, and behavior of the dogs in the park. See if there’s benches, multiple gates, a water station, waste bag station, and a trash can. If not, make plans to supply your own. See how many dogs are at the park, and their behavior. Talk to the dog owners at the park, ask them if they know of any times it’s slow.
Make sure your dog is ok to go to the dog park.
Some dogs sadly should not attend the dog park. If your dog is;
- In heat or intact
- Not able to follow basic commands, such as sit or stay
- Prone to incessant barking
- Has a history of biting
they should probably not attend the dog park.
Visit the dog park.
Visit the dog park with your dog on a leash when it’s not very busy. See how they do with the other dogs. If you see any aggression or unfriendliness, take a break or leave. Remember to;
- Keep small dogs away from big dogs, and vice versa
- Make sure to lock the gates after entering or leaving
- Leave small children at home.
- Do not bring food, treats, or toys.
- Keep an eye on your dog.
- Make sure your dog is having a good time.
If you follow these guidelines, you and your dog should have a wonderful time at the dog park! Do you like to visit the dog park? Tell us about your experiences below!